Nick is a software engineer and Developer Technologies Microsoft MVP based in London. He is creating educational content on YouTube about everything .NET and C#.
From Zero to Hero: Effective testing in C#
Testing is an absolute must when building reliable software. It allows us to make code changes with minimal amount of risk and it ensures that bugs or problems within our codebase are caught early, before they can even have any customer impact. It can also let us know how our application performs under pressure and we can use that information to optimize what really matters.
This workshop will get you started on the right track and teach you all the best practices you need to know to write clean and effective unit and integration tests in .NET with C#.
- Understanding the different types of testing
- Introduction to Unit testing
- Creating realistic test data
- Testing “untestable” code
- Unit testing best practices
- Introduction to Integration testing
- Understanding the WebApplicationFactory
- Dealing with Databases
- Dealing with APIs
- Building test-specific environments using Docker
Target audience and prerequisites
This workshop is aimed at backend developers with some experience writing applications using C# and .NET.
The workshop will not focus on .NET Framework at all.
- Visual Studio 2022 or JetBrains Rider or VS Code
- .NET 7
- Docker Desktop (no need for Kubernetes to be installed)